What is this course about?
This course is an ideal starting point for anybody wanting to develop essential skills with a view to progressing in their workplace at management level or those considering setting up their own business. It includes carefully constructed modules that will help students progress from the basic fundamentals to the key aspects of management. The qualification can be used as a standalone award or for further study at degree level.
Students are currently being accepted on a pre-enrolment basis. This means that students can register to start the course as soon as it begins. Materials will become available to students as they progress through the course.
- Diploma in Management (Level 4)
- In addition to the Diploma, successful students will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all the units the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards Quality Licence Scheme. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future.
ABC Awards is a leading national Awarding Organisation, regulated by Ofqual, and the Welsh Government. It has a long-established reputation for developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. As a registered charity, ABC Awards combines 180 years of expertise but also implements a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers. Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards also offers Ofqual regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 4 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
How long is the course?
This course has three elements: 1. the Diploma course; 2. Management IT skills course modules; and 3. Management Enhancement skills course modules. All three elements are separate courses, but combined into the overall course curriculum to help better prepare you for a career in Management.
All course modules are self-paced and come with differing access periods. See below for further details (the number of hours indicates the number of study hours). We recommend you complete the courses with shorter access periods first.
- Diploma Course: 2 years access (480 hours)
- Management IT Skills Courses: 12 months access (40 hours)
- Management Enhancement Skills Courses: 6 months access (35 hours)
Total Study Time: 555 hours
What’s covered in this course?
Diploma Course Modules:
Unit 1: Using information, communication and technology ICT in Management Studies
1. Applications of ICT in the study of Management Studies
2. ePortfolio constructs
3. Independent web based research
4. Principles of self-assessment and reflective writing
Unit 2: Introduction to management studies
1. Theories of management
2. Management leadership
3. Team building
4. Time management
Unit 3: Practical management skills
1. Principles of management meetings
2. Interview skills
3. Organisational structure
Unit 4: Managing process
1. Business planning
2. Process management
3. Managing project processes
4. Quality management processes
Unit 5: The manager’s role in training and development
1. The learning organisation
2. Learning theories
3. Action learning
4. Competency frameworks
Unit 6: Training and development choice
1. Factors for consideration
2. Knowledge retention
Unit 7: Motivation in the workplace
1. Theoretical principles of motivation
2. Historical perspectives
3 . Individual need for achievement
4 . Cognitive perspective
Unit 8: Effective communication: understanding the communication process
1. Language of management
2. Comparative evaluations between theories
3. Principles of best practice
4. Email as a primary method
Should you require an embossed hard copy of your certificate, you can order this separately after taking your exam. The course can be enrolled upon by students Internationally. There are no deadlines for enrolments.
- Online study materials to enable the student to successfully complete the Diploma.
- Tutor support for the duration of the course (2 years).
- Certification upon completion.
- All examination fees.
- The Quality Assured Diploma is a Level 4 equivalent of the National Qualifications Framework. The Diploma is a 2 year course which is self study and is examined by online examination.
- Level 4 Diplomas provide an ability to gain and apply a range of knowledge, skills and understanding in a specific subject at a detailed level. Level 4 qualifications such as A levels, NVQ3, BTEC Diplomas etc, are appropriate if you plan to progress to university study.
- Level 4 Diploma courses can assist you in career development, continued professional development, personal development, and provision of a basis for further study.
- Progression from Level 4 is to specialist learning and detailed analysis of a higher level of information (for example university level study, Diploma Level 5 study).
- This is a flexible learning course, so the more time you have to commit to your studies, the sooner you are able to complete.
- In the student ‘On Campus’ you are also able to take part in the student chat room and forums as part of our online student community.
- After enrolling online you will receive your username and password to access the On Campus area within 3 working days.
Management IT Skills Course Modules:
- Microsoft Excel 2013 (12 hours)
- Microsoft Word 2013 (12 hours)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 (12 hours)
- Microsoft Outlook 2013 (8 hours)
Management Enhancement Skills Course Modules:
- People as a Resource (3 hours)
- Understanding Your Organisation (1 hour)
- Assessing Performance (3 hours)
- Building the Team (3 hours and 30 mins)
- Delegation (3 hours)
- Leadership (3 hours and 30 mins)
- Managing Performance (4 hours and 30 mins)
- Motivating the Team (3 hours)
- Performance Indicators (3 hours)
- Planning and Organising the Team’s Work (3 hours)
- The Role of the Team Leader (3 hours)
- Managing performance everyday (1 hour and 30 mins) *1 month access only
What are the entry requirements for this course?
- All students must be 16 years of age and above.
- Level 4 Diploma courses require a minimum ‘prior learning to GCSE standard‘ in order that students can manage their studies and the assumed knowledge within course content.
How is this course taught?
The teaching features of this course are as follows:
- All courses are online and self-paced, meaning you do it in your own time;
- You will be given a username and password to log into your courses;
- The Diploma course comes with full tutor support. You will have your own personal tutor;
- The Diploma course is a text based course, using online reading materials and tests;
- The Management IT skills and Management Enhancement skills course modules are multi-media based, using audio and video in the lessons. You can pause a lesson at any time;
- All examinations are done online or at a testing centre. We can advise you where your nearest testing centre is.
What do I need?
You will need access to a PC and an internet connection (preferably broadband). You will also need a set of speakers to hear the lessons. If you wish to speak with your tutor online, you will need a microphone and webcam. If you have a laptop, all of these should be built in. If you are unsure about anything, please feel free to ask us.