What is this course about?
This Diploma program is ideal for learners who want to develop an understanding of business finance fundamentals. It aims to provide the learner with an understanding of key business finance concepts, tools, and analysis techniques. The course is particularly well suited to General Managers with existing responsibilities for small organisations or departments. This course will allow them to better understand the financial aspects of the company or department they currently work within. The course will also help prepare anyone wanting to pursue business finance at a higher degree level. It is an ideal starting point for those with little or no experience within business finance.
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Define the need for keeping books
- Describe common book-keeping methods
- Understand credit control techniques and methods
- Devise debt recovery procedures
- Understand costing and pricing models and methods
- Conduct break even analyses
- Prepare a trading budget
- Manage cash and cashflow
- Compose basic financial reports
There are a series of Tutor Marked Assignments which are used to generate your final grade.
- Diploma in Business Finance (Level 2)
- In addition to the Diploma, successful students will receive a Certificate of Achievement and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all the units the learner has completed as part of the course).
How long is the course?
This course has three elements: 1. the Diploma course; 2. the Business Finance IT Skills course modules; and 3. the Business Finance Enhancement Skills course modules. All are separate courses, but combined into the overall course curriculum to help better prepare you for a career in Business Finance.
All course modules are self-paced and come with differing access periods. See below for further details (the number of hours indicates the number of study hours). We recommend you complete the courses with shorter access periods first.
- Diploma Course: 2 years access (100 hours)
- Business Finance IT Skills Courses: 12 months access (32 hours)
- Business Finance Enhancement Skills Courses: 6 months access (13 hours, 30 mins)
Total Study Time: 145 hours, 30 mins
What’s covered in this course?
Diploma Course Modules:
- Module A: book-keeping
- Why keep books?
- Book-keeping methods
- Introduction to VAT
- The analysed cash book
- Sales and purchase day books
- Reconciling the bank account
- Double entry book-keeping
- Single entry systems
- Module B: Credit Control
- Cracking the credit problem
- Is my customer credit worthy?
- Credit control routines
- Debt recovery through the courts
- Statutory demands, insolvency and bankruptcy
- VAT and tax relief for bad debts
- Module C: Costing & Pricing
- Pricing a product
- Costing a product
- Pricing a service
- Break even analysis
- Contribution theory
- Absorption costing
- Module D: Management Accounting
- Managing cash
- The trading budget
- The profit & loss account
- Management reports
- Manual accounting records
- Computerised accounting records
- Breakeven analysis
- Online study materials to enable the student to successfully complete the Diploma.
- Tutor support for the duration of the course (2 years).
- Certification upon completion.
- All examination fees.
Business Finance IT Skills Course Modules:
- Microsoft Excel 2013 (12 hours)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 (8 hours)
- Microsoft Access 2013 (12 hours)
Business Finance Enhancement Skills Course Modules:
- The balance sheet barrier: The basics of business finance (1 hr, 30 mins) * 1 month access only
- Cost Benefit Analysis (3 hours)
- Financial Environment (4 hours)
- Understanding Costs (4 hours)
- Mastering Data Analysis (Excel 2013) (1 hour) * 1 month access only
What are the entry requirements for this course?
There are no specific entry requirements for this course, but a good command of written English is essential.
How is this course taught?
The teaching features of this course are as follows:
- All courses are online and self-paced, meaning you do it in your own time;
- You will be given a username and password to log into your courses;
- The Diploma course comes with full tutor support. You will have your own personal tutor;
- The Diploma course is a text based course, using online reading materials and tests;
- The Business Finance IT skills and Business Finance Enhancement skills course modules are multi-media based, using audio and video in the lessons. You can pause a lesson at any time;
- All examinations are done online or at a testing centre. We can advise you where your nearest testing centre is.
What do I need?
You will need access to a PC and an internet connection (preferably broadband). You will also need a set of speakers to hear the lessons. If you wish to speak with your tutor online, you will need a microphone and webcam. If you have a laptop, all of these should be built in. If you are unsure about anything, please feel free to ask us.