What is this course about?
This Quality Assured Level 3 Diploma in Accounting will provide students with an in depth knowledge of the topic area.
It is an ideal starting point for anybody wanting to become an Accountant. Successful students can go on to Chartered Accountancy, setup their own business or study at university.
This course can also help General Managers and business owners better understand and oversee their company finances. It will help further their understanding of financial and management accounting, while introducing them to more complex accounting tasks, such as maintaining cost, accounting records and the preparation of reports and returns.
Accountancy is the art of conveying to shareholders and managers the financial information about a business in the form of financial statements which express in terms on money the economic resources under the control of management and how those resources have been used to enhance value.
This program is arranged in ten carefully constructed modules that will help students progress from the basic fundamentals underlying the subject of accounting to the various methods that are employed by Accountants to keep records of capital expenditure for an organisation. These modules are
organised in such an order that allows students to develop a comprehensive knowledge in accounting. To help prepare students with their final exam, at the end of each module, students will be given a short exam.
Throughout this course, students will learn the concepts of financial record-keeping techniques, consequences of effective financial accounting, businesses profitability, performance, costing and budgeting. Some modules will include links to carefully selected websites that will provide the students with further practice, summaries and examples of topics covered in the lessons.
Final online multiple choice examination.
- Diploma in Accounting (Level 3)
- In addition to the Diploma, successful students will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all the units the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards Quality Licence Scheme. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future.
ABC Awards is a leading national Awarding Organisation, regulated by Ofqual, and the Welsh Government. It has a long-established reputation for developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. As a registered charity, ABC Awards combines 180 years of expertise but also implements a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers. Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards also offers Ofqual regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
How long is the course?
This course has two elements: the Diploma course; and Accounting IT Skills course modules. Both are separate courses, but combined into the overall course curriculum to help better prepare you for a career in Accounting.
All course modules are self-paced and come with differing access periods. See below for further details (the number of hours indicates the number of study hours). We recommend you complete the courses with shorter access periods first.
- Diploma Course: 12 months access (200 hours)
- Accounting IT Skills Courses:
- Microsoft Excel 2013: 12 months access (12 hours)
- Sage 50 Accounts: 6 months access (6 hours)
- Quickbooks (2013): 3 months access (6 hours)
Total Study Time: 224 hours
What’s covered in this course?
Diploma Course Modules:
- Module 1 – Purposes of Accounting and Records (20 hours)
- Module 2 – Verification of Records – Accounts and Balance Sheets (20 hours)
- Module 3 – Types of Business Organisations, Accounting Concepts and Further Aspects (20 hours)
- Module 4 – Internal Final Accounts of Limited Companies, Ratio Analysis and the Assessment of Business Performance (20 hours)
- Module 5 – Introduction to Budgeting and Budget Control (20 hours)
- Module 6 – Stock Valuation, Incomplete Records and Sources of Finance (20 hours)
- Module 7 – Accounting Standards, Published Accounts and Partnership Accounts (20 hours)
- Module 8 – Manufacturing Accounts (20 hours)
- Module 9 – Costing (20 hours)
- Module 10 – Capital Investment Appraisal, Budgeting, Further Considerations and Social Accounting (20 hours)
You will receive a certificate. A digital version is included in the price and will be emailed to you within 5 days of taking your online exam. Should you require an embossed hard copy of your certificate, you can order this separately after taking your exam. The course can be enrolled upon by students Internationally. There are no deadlines for enrolments.
- Online study materials to enable the student to successfully complete the Diploma.
- Tutor support for the duration of the course (1 year).
- Certification upon completion.
- All examination fees.
- The Quality Assured Diploma is a Level 3 equivalent of the National Qualifications Framework. The Diploma is a 1 year course which is self study and is examined by online examination.
- Level 3 Diplomas provide an ability to gain and apply a range of knowledge, skills and understanding in a specific subject at a detailed level. Level 3 qualifications such as A levels, NVQ3, BTEC Diplomas etc, are appropriate if you plan to progress to university study.
- Level 3 Diploma courses can assist you in career development, continued professional development, personal development, and provision of a basis for further study.
- Progression from Level 3 is to specialist learning and detailed analysis of a higher level of information (for example university level study, Diploma Level 5 study).
- This is a flexible learning course, so the more time you have to commit to your studies, the sooner you are able to complete.
- In the student ‘On Campus’ you are also able to take part in the student chat room and forums as part of our online student community.
- After enrolling online you will receive your username and password to access the On Campus area within 3 working days.
Accounting IT Skills Course Modules:
- Microsoft Excel (2013)
- Sage 50 Accounts
- Quickbooks (2013)
What are the entry requirements for this course?
- All students must be 16 years of age and above.
- Level 3 Diploma courses require a minimum ‘prior learning to GCSE standard‘ in order that students can manage their studies and the assumed knowledge within course content.
How is this course taught?
The teaching features of this course are as follows:
- All courses are online and self-paced, meaning you do it in your own time;
- You will be given a username and password to log into your courses;
- The Diploma course comes with full tutor support. You will have your own personal tutor;
- The Diploma course is a text based course, using online reading materials and tests;
- The Accounting IT Skills course modules are multi-media based, using audio and video in the lessons. You can pause a lesson at any time;
- All examinations are done online or at a testing centre. We can advise you where your nearest testing centre is.
What do I need?
You will need access to a PC and an internet connection (preferably broadband). You will also need a set of speakers to hear the lessons. If you wish to speak with your tutor online, you will need a microphone and webcam. If you have a laptop, all of these should be built in. If you are unsure about anything, please feel free to ask us.